Choosing the right fence for your property can often feel like a daunting task. What material should it be made of? Will it serve the purpose you need, whether that’s safety, aesthetics, or containment?
With countless options on the market, it’s natural to question which material offers the best combination of durability, cost-effectiveness, and security. Maybe this search has brought you to consider a chain link fence. But, what is chain link fence made of?
In this guide, we’ll talk about the main material – steel – along with the different coatings for these fences, from galvanized coating to vinyl coating and more. We’ll even address a related question you may be wondering – how is chain link fence made?
As the most trusted provider of chain link fence in Austin, Texas, we have more than 50 years of experience in the fencing industry. We’re equipped to help you navigate the ins and outs of chain link fences and determine if this is the right fencing solution for you.
But just remember this – whether you choose a chain link fence or some other style, Viking Fences is the premier provider of fencing solutions in Texas. You can count on us to help you secure your property while maintaining aesthetics.
That being said, let’s start by looking at the benefits of this particular type of fence before addressing what it’s made of.
The Benefits of Chain Link Fencing
Chain link fencing offers a wide range of benefits that cater to diverse property needs. Whether you’re looking to secure a commercial space or add aesthetic charm to your residential backyard, here’s why chain link could be the ideal choice for you:
- Cost-Effectiveness: When budget is a concern, chain link fences come to the rescue. They’re affordable but don’t skimp on quality, offering great value for your investment. With Viking Fences, you also have various financing options to make your purchase even easier on the pocket.
- Durability: Designed to withstand the extreme weather conditions that Texas often experiences, chain link fences are highly durable. They resist many elements that usually plague other fencing materials like wood or metal.
- Flexibility & Ease of Maintenance: Customization is a breeze with chain link fencing. Choose the color and size that best suits your property’s needs. Viking Fences specializes in customization, allowing you to design a fence that’s uniquely yours. And, on that note, you can count on Viking Fences for fence repair in Austin TX if necessary. We also offer automatic gate repair in Austin.
- Security: Enhance your property’s security with a chain link fence that doesn’t obscure sightlines and can be augmented with additional features. You can even integrate this with other security solutions offered by Viking Fences, such as driveway gates and access control systems. We even have commercial security systems and security fencing in Austin.
Chain link fencing is more than just a cost-effective, durable option – it’s a versatile solution designed with the modern property owner in mind. But what is chain link fence made of?
What is Chain Link Fence Made Of?
So, what is chain link fence made of? Metal, of course, but let’s get more specific. What metal is chain link fence made of?
Core Material: Steel and Its Properties
The skeleton of a chain-link fence is primarily made from steel. Steel is an alloy primarily composed of iron and a small amount of carbon, lending it incredible strength and durability.
This is why it is commonly used in various applications, from construction to automotive manufacturing. Its resistance to stress and environmental conditions makes it the perfect material for fencing that stands the test of time.
But not just any steel will do. High-quality chain link fences, like those we offer at Viking Fences, often use galvanized steel.
Galvanization is a process that coats the steel with a layer of zinc to protect it against rust and corrosion, thereby increasing its lifespan. Speaking of which, let’s look at the role of coating and the different types you may find.
Coating: Types and Benefits
To make a chain link fence more resilient and visually appealing, various coatings can be applied. Here are some of the most common types of coatings and their benefits:
- Galvanized Coating: This is one of the most popular choices due to its rust-resistant properties. It’s excellent for both residential and commercial applications where long-lasting durability is a concern.
- Vinyl Coating: Also known as a PVC coating, this provides a smoother finish and offers more flexibility in terms of color. If you’re aiming to match the fence with your property’s aesthetic, vinyl coating allows for customization.
If you need help choosing the ideal type of coating for your unique property and use case, don’t hesitate to reach out. Below, we’ll talk about the characteristics of a high-quality chain link fence so you can feel more confident in your next steps.
What to Look for in a Quality Chain Link Fence
When selecting a chain link fence, there are several markers of quality that you should consider:
- Wire Thickness: The thicker the wire, the stronger and more durable the fence. Thicker wires are more resistant to cutting and wear and tear.
- Mesh Size: Smaller mesh sizes make it harder for intruders to climb the fence. However, the smaller the mesh, the higher the price. Find a balance that fits your needs and budget.
- Coating Quality: As mentioned earlier, the type and quality of the coating can significantly impact the lifespan of your fence. Ensure that the fence you’re considering has a durable, high-quality coating.
- Installation: A chain link fence is only as good as its installation. Poorly installed fences can sag, rust, or deteriorate quickly. Always opt for professionals, like Viking Fences, who have the expertise and equipment to ensure a secure and long-lasting installation.
By now, you should have a clearer understanding of what makes up a chain-link fence and what to look for when choosing one. It’s not just about the mesh or the posts, it’s about the quality of the materials and the craftsmanship that goes into assembling them. That being said, how is chain link fence made?
How is Chain Link Fence Made?
A chain-link fence is more than a series of interconnected wires. Its creation involves a rigorous manufacturing process that ensures each fence not only looks good but also stands the test of time.
The Manufacturing Process: Step-by-Step
At Viking Fences, we pride ourselves on our craftsmanship and the quality of our materials. Here’s an inside look at how a chain-link fence goes from raw material to a reliable structure around your property. Here’s how it works…
- Material Preparation: Everything starts with high-quality steel wire. It’s straightened and cut, preparing it for the weaving process.
- Twisting and Weaving: Specialized machines twist and turn the wires to form the signature diamond pattern, ensuring uniformity and durability in the final product.
- Galvanization: You’ve already learned about the importance of coating. Here, the galvanized coating is applied through hot-dip galvanization, a method where the woven wire is submerged into a bath of molten zinc.
- Optional Coating: Should you opt for the vinyl coating we previously discussed, this is the stage where that color customization takes place.
- Final Assembly: Lastly, the finished, coated wire is wound onto spools and prepared for shipment, often with other fittings or accessories.
From here, though, the fencing must then undergo robust quality checks to ensure it stands the test of time and actually serves its purpose.
Quality Checks: Ensuring Longevity and Durability
There are a number of ways you can assess the quality of a chain link fence after creating it to check for strength and longevity:
- Tensile Strength Test: Your chain-link fence needs to be strong. That’s why we test for tensile strength, ensuring that it can withstand pressure and not break easily.
- Corrosion Test: Given that you now understand the types of coatings available, it should be no surprise that we also conduct corrosion tests, especially important for fences that will be exposed to harsh elements.
- Coating Thickness Test: A uniform coating is crucial for longevity, so the thickness of the galvanized or vinyl layer is measured to industry standards.
You Can Trust Viking Fences For Durable, Long-Lasting Chain Link Fencing in Texas!
By now, you’ve gained an in-depth understanding of what chain link fences are made of, how they are manufactured, and the critical quality checks involved in the process.
But if you’re in the Texas region, why should you choose Viking Fences for your fencing needs?
Why Viking Fences?
With decades in the industry, Viking Fences has honed the craft of delivering high-quality, durable fences. We’re not just fencing contractors, we’re artisans who value both form and function. That means your fence will be functional and aesthetically pleasing all at once.
We’ve been part of the Texas community since 1972. Our commitment to local businesses and residents of Austin is unprecedented. We’re your neighbors, after all!
And, we have stringent quality checks, ensuring that every chain link fence leaving our facility is of the highest standard, offering you peace of mind and long-lasting value.
The Different Types of Fencing We Offer
But, we have a range of other fencing solutions too. That includes wrought iron fences, masonry fences, vinyl fencing, and more. You can even explore some of our wood fencing solutions for a rustic, homey look!
We don’t just provide fences, though. We can customize them to your unique needs and our skilled artisans will handle installation. And, as previously mentioned, we can keep your fence/security system running smoothly long after the installation is complete.
All of this is why we’re the premier choice for fencing in Austin. But, we’re also known as the most trusted fence company in Cedar Park, Pflugerville, Round Rock, San Antonio, Georgetown, and beyond.
So, if you’re in the area, reach out and let’s talk next steps. Because at this point, it’s time we wrapped up this conversation on what chain link fence is made.
Wrapping Up Our Guide to What Chain Link Fence is Made Of
You’ve journeyed through the intricate world of chain link fences, learning about their composition, manufacturing process, and the multiple benefits they bring to the table. So, what is chain link fence made of? And, how is chain link fence made?
In summary, chain link fencing is primarily made from steel wire that is often galvanized for added durability. The process of making chain link fence involves weaving these steel wires into a diamond pattern, after which various coatings such as galvanized or vinyl coatings may be applied to enhance durability and aesthetics.
And when it comes to choosing the best in the business, look no further than Viking Fences. We bring not just products but a legacy of quality, community trust, and an array of fencing solutions to meet every need and preference.
So make a long-term investment in quality, durability, and peace of mind. Reach out and request a quote to get started on bringing the excellence of Viking Fences to your property today!